With vaudeville roots, the Washington Center for the Performing Arts offers a wide range of performances sure to please everyone. For 2016, the Center has an incredible lineup of entertainment planned.
• The Producers – On March 5, the Producers comedy and musical is being presented. As the recipient of 12 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, this production is based on the 1968 Mel Brooks’ classic film comedy.
• Kahulanui: Hawaii’s Kings of Swing – Scheduled for March 18, you have the opportunity to see Hawaii’s Kings of Swing in action as they perform both Big Band and traditional Swing. Included in this nine-piece band are four horns, bass, guitar, drums, steel, and of course, a ukulele. Together, they create dynamic energy.
• Black Box Jazz: Ariel Calabria – If you enjoy good jazz, you do not want to miss this March 25 performance. Ariel Calabria, a native of Seattle, was taught to play by his father who was also a multi-instrumentalist. Calabria has made quite a name for himself in the world of jazz, having mastered the piano, drums, and guitar.
• PostSecret: The Show – For something unique, consider a poetry and story reading performance that is auditory, visual, and emotional. During the performance, three actors use imagery and video to guide the audience through a narrative of stories of never seen before secrets that touch on controversial, sad, funny, and sexual postcards. The sheer honesty of the performance is remarkable. PostSecret will be held on March 31.
• Saturday Night Fever – No one can forget the undeniable electricity of the Saturday Night Fever movie. Now in Olympia, you can enjoy the musical that was inspired by the 1977 film by visiting the Performing Arts Center on April 10. Included is music from the original Bee Gees soundtrack.
• Cirque Alfonse: Timber – As part of their premiere American tour, this outrageous circus troupe will perform spoon-clacking, log walking, clog dancing, hatchet juggling, and hijinks on top of an outhouse. The April 14 performance will provide pure enjoyment for the entire family.